Facts All Smokers Should Know
Most smokers who make New Years Resolutions resolve to stop smoking...And
then fail. This is despite knowing that smoking is a killer: it is the
number one cause of cancer death in Americans. Sadly, the number of teenage
girl smokers has doubled in the past ten years! Statistics about lung cancer
deaths--most entirely preventable--don't seem to impress them; they are much
more concerned about smoking helping to control their weight.
Facts all smokers should know are:
- Nicotine is not only addictive, it is more addictive than most narcotics.
- One of every 6 deaths is related to smoking. . .it kills more than 10 times
as many Americans per year as breast cancer.
- One out of 3 cancer deaths are related to smoking.
- Half of all heart related causes of death in women YOUNGER than 65 are
due to cigarette smoking.
- Tobacco use does not just cause lung cancer: it is linked to cancers of
the mouth and throat, esophagus, pancreas, bladder, breast and cervix.
Click here for related information.
Created: 1/2/2001  - Donnica Moore, M.D.