Women and Smoking
Tobacco is an equal opportunity killer: it is the number one cancer killer
of all American women, yet teenage girls represent the only group in which smoking
is continuing to rise. In fact, the number of teenage girl smokers has doubled
in the past ten years! Statistics about lung cancer deaths--most entirely preventable--don't
seem to impress them; they are much more concerned about smoking helping to
control their weight.
Facts all women smokers should know are:
- Nicotine is not only addictive, it is more addictive than most narcotics.
- One of every 6 deaths is related to smoking.
- One out of 3 cancer deaths are related to smoking.
- Half of all heart related causes of death in women YOUNGER than 65 are due
to cigarette smoking.
- Tobacco use does not just cause lung cancer: it is linked to cancers of
the mouth and throat, esophagus, pancreas, bladder, breast and cervix.
Click here for related information.
Created: 11/16/2000  - Donnica Moore, M.D.