Dr. Donnica's Top Ten Tips For PMS Management
- Discuss your situation with your physician. Work together to develop a
comprehensive treatment plan. Follow it! Questions you should ask your doctor
If you smoke, quit.
Practice stress management: many of the symptoms of PMS are unpredictable
and emotionally draining. This can be very stressful and can exacerbate your
Regular exercise may reduce your risk of PMS altogether; exercising once
you have symptoms (even though you may not feel like it) will reduce the symptoms
you experience for that cycle.
Take a daily, non-prescription multi-vitamin; discuss any other supplement
needs with your physician.
Be sure to get an adequate daily intake of calcium (1,200 mg/day)
Eat a well balanced diet; don't skip meals.
Reduce intake of caffeine, alcohol, refined sugar, and salt.
Enlist the support and understanding of friends and loved ones.
Try to get regular, sufficient sleep.
- Should I be taking any dietary supplements?
- Are there any other illnesses which could be causing my symptoms?
- Should I also be evaluated for other conditions such as low blood sugar,
low-acting thyroid or depression?
- Could this be related to any medications I might be taking (including
birth control pills)?
- Do I have PMS or PMDD?
- Could my symptoms be related to perimenopause?
- Am I a candidate for prescription drug therapy for this condition?
- What medicines could I be taking to combat PMS?
For more information about depression or other mental health issues, click
Created: 10/8/2003  - Donnica Moore, M.D.
All the content contained herein is copyrighted pursuant to federal law. Duplication or use without
the express written permission of DrDonnica.com subjects the violator to both civil & criminal penalties.
Copyright © 2006 DrDonnica.com. All rights reserved.
| Today on DrDonnica.com
| Meet Dr. Donnica
| TV Appearances
| Clinical Trials
Diseases & Conditions
| Celebrity Speak Out
| Guest Experts
| Women's Health Champions
| Women’s Health Resources
| Books & Tapes
| Site Certification
| Advanced Search
| What’s New?
| Press Room
| Contact Us