First, try over-the-counter medications along with lifestyle changes:
- Don't lie down for 3 hrs after eating.
- Avoid foods, drinks or medicines that aggravate heartburn, such as fried
or fatty foods, chocolate, coffee, sodas, citrus fruits, tomato products and
- Eat smaller portions at mealtimes.
- Wear loose fitting clothing.
- Maintain a normal body weight.
- Stop smoking.
If over-the-counter medicines and lifestyle changes don't eliminate your heartburn,
see your doctor. There are now several prescription medicines that may help.
These are generally in 2 classes:
- H2 Receptor Antagonists - these decrease the flow of stomach acid.
- Proton Pump Inhibitors - these decrease the flow of stomach acid to a greater
For more information, check out Dr. Donnica's Women's Health Resources
for Gastrointestinal Disorders.
Created: 2/25/2001  - Donnica Moore, M.D.