Five Tips For Getting the Most Reliable Pap Results:
- Schedule your Pap test at least
5 days after the last day of your period. The ideal time is in the second
half of your cycle.
- Don't have sex or use tampons,
vaginal creams, or foams 48 hrs before your test. If you do have intercourse,
use a condom.
- Don't douche! Not only is there
probably no need to, douching can wash away some evidence of abnormalities.
- Ask your doctor (or office staff)
if the lab your Pap smear is going to is fully accredited and meets recent
- Ask your doctor about the new HPV test which is given at the same time as the Pap smear to see whether you have an infection with a high risk strain of HPV, the causative agent of cervical cancer.
For more information about Pap smears, HPV, and cervical cancer, click here.
Created: 10/17/2000  - Donnica Moore, M.D.