Ten Reasons to Eat More Fruits and Veggies
This year, don't resolve just to lose weight, but to eat more:† more fruits
and veggies that is.† Why?† The American Institute for Cancer Research suggests
ten good reasons.
1. Cancer prevention. Eating five servings each day could prevent up
to one in five cancers.† How?† Fruits and veggies have antioxidants which protect
healthy cells.† Eating 5 a day instead of junk food leads to reason number.
2. To keep trim. Many vegetables have 50 calories in a whole cup, the same amount
as five potato chips or one small cookie.
3. Prevent heart disease. If you eat more fruits & veggies instead of meat
and dairy, you can limit heart-damaging saturated fat and cholesterol. The natural
chemicals in these foods also help prevent fatty deposits from forming in blood
vessels. Vegetables and fruits have soluble fiber, to help lower blood cholesterol
and folate, a vitamin that lowers blood levels of homocysteine, another risk
factor for heart disease. Fruits and veggies can also reduce heart disease with
4. They lower blood pressure.
5. To prevent stroke. . .by up to 25 percent!
Join us tomorrow when we'll cover the next 5 reasons on the list.
Click here for related information.
Created: 1/10/2001  - Donnica Moore, M.D.