Seven Simple Choices For A Healthier Lifestyle
Today is the 7th day of the 7th month. Will it be a lucky
day for your future? It will if you follow the American Cancer Society's 7
suggestions to reduce your risk of cancer.
- Don't smoke or chew tobacco.
- Eat 5 or more servings of fruits and vegetables each day.
- Limit your intake of high-fat foods, particularly from animal sources.
- Limit your intake of alcoholic beverages.
- Be physically active and stay within your healthy weight range.
- Avoid direct contact with the sun, especially in the middle of the day.
Cover up and use sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher.
- Schedule regular checkups. This includes Pap smears and mammograms for
women, rectal exams for colon cancer screening for all adults, and prostate
screening for men.
In addition, ask your doctor if there are specific things you can do to reduce
your personal risk. For example, women should know that birth control pills
can lower the risk of ovarian, uterine and colorectal cancer.
For more information, click here.
Created: 6/28/2001  - Donnica Moore, M.D.