Denver Menopause Survey
DO YOU LIVE IN DENVER, COLORADO? If so, the following survey information
of women in Denver may interest you. Caravan, a national research firm, surveyed
300 Denver-area women over age 18 about their fears and thoughts concerning
aging and menopause. The study was sponsored by the Vitality Campaign for menopausal
education. Here's what they said:
- Almost one out of 5 women fear losing their teeth. Yet by the time women
reach age 65, nearly one in three women will have lost all of their original
- Nearly 4 out of 10 women surveyed said that hot flashes were the most disturbing
symptom of menopause. In a national survey, however, sleep disturbances
ranked as the most disturbing menopausal symptom.
- Fewer than one in 5 women surveyed recognize that sexual dysfunction may
be related to menopause, but nearly 40% said that they are worried about maintaining
a healthy, vital sex life into their older years.
- About 3 out of 10 women surveyed were able to identify memory lapses as
a potential symptom of menopause. Other research suggests that menopausal
women are up to three times more likely than men to have Alzheimer's disease
after age 50.
- About 6 out of 10 Denver women were wisely concerned about osteoporosis.
And half of the women surveyed were correctly able to identify that breaking
a bone may be related to menopause. Given that 23 million American women
are at risk for this debilitating disease and that the costs of treating osteoporotic
fractures are more than $14 billion each year, this is a well placed concern.
For more information on the Vitality Campaign for menopausal education go to
www.menopausehealth.com. For more
information on menopause, Click here.
Created: 12/12/2000  - Donnica Moore, M.D.