Dr. Donnica's Top Tips for Success On The Atkins Diet (controlled carbohydrate diet)
- Do not view this as a "short-term" fix: view this as a long-term lifestyle
- Set REALISTIC weight loss goals that you can achieve; you can always set
a new one once you reach that goal. I recommend that the first goal be no
more than to lose 10% of your original body weight.
- Like embarking on any new journey, read the book! This is the "instruction
manual" for how to "do" this diet properly. . And successfully.
- Drink PLENTY of water: at least 10 glasses per day.
- Take the recommended vitamins and dietary supplements:
- A general multivitamin
- Calcium with Vitamin D
- Omega 3 fatty acids/fish oil
- If you become constipated, take a fiber supplement, a stool softener, or
a laxative. . And increase your fluid intake, vegetable intake, and exercise.
- Exercise helps! The more the better.
- If you are hungry, eat-just make sure it's something
on the low carbohydrate list.
- Try to eat a small snack before you are
- Keep cooked meat in the refrigerator that can be
quickly microwaved or eaten cold when in a hurry.
- If you are traveling or going somewhere which may
not have low carbohydrate food choices (e.g. the movies, a party, an airplane)
either eat before you go, or bring your own food with you.
- When eating in a restaurant or hotel room service: tell the waiter up-front
not to bring any bread, pasta, rice or potatoes-these items are often served
without being mentioned on the menu.
- At home, try to be creative about varying your diet: variety is the spice
of life and will decrease your likelihood of letting boredom cause you to
stray from your goals.
- If you "cheat" or fall off the bandwagon, don't despair, and don't give
up. Just get right back to your plan as soon as possible.
Created: 10/24/2003  - Donnica Moore, M.D.